请选择 进入手机版 | 继续访问电脑版

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友
查看: 26496|回复: 0

a no-nonsense English learning tool that I built :-)

[复制链接]
发表于 2014-5-27 21:30:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Hi,

Do you want a SMART tool that guarantees remembering a very high percentage of English words (like 98%) and learn about 20 times faster than traditionally? Read on (or just try BuboFlash.eu right now)!

I am Piotr, I have lived in London, UK, for More than 8 years. I Created a Free website http://BuboFlash.eu Languages ​​using flashcards for learning, where "Free" means both you Do Not Pay for it and learning material is freely licenced like in Wikipedia.  

The learning method

The website uses statistical techniques to model every user's memory strength on every single learned word as expotentially decaying curve of recall probability. The longer you wait, the lower probability of recall is. However, if you manage to repeat a word when you still remember it , the memory strength is reset to original 100% (certain recall, you just recalled it after all) and it starts decaying slower, so you remember the word for longer. Each successful repetition makes subsequent memory decay slower, so BuboFlash.eu can increase intervals between repetitions - 1 day, 3 days, a week, 10 days, a month etc If you start learning regularly, BuboFlash.eu 's job will be to schedule repetitions for you Every day you will learn a new portion of vocabulary and repeat .. words that you learned before, some of them just few days ago, the others -. months, or even years ago BuboFlash.eu is tuned to try to schedule repetition when the probability of recall drops from 100% to 90% Given typical long. term learning process, and the ratio of words to repeat today to words scheduled to repeat later (which means you their probability of recall is still higher than 90%), the average probability of recall of a random word works out to be 98 .% This is how much you would recall out of a random sample across everything you learn with BuboFlash.eu -. if somebody quizzes you Comparing to traditional learning method, when you either repeat everything that you learned, or repeat things at random, BuboFlash . eu optimisations make you go faster about 20 times :-) You can easily learn 1,000 new words per month or new 10,000 words per year, working with BuboFlash.eu about 40 minutes a day. No time wasted on repeating things you still know well ! .. No Frustration of Forgetting TOO much Golden Middle  

You can think of this as Online Alerts: hey, REPEAT this or you will forget it No Actual Alert Email is sent, Because if you Learn a Lot, you will have repetitions scheduled for every day Just remember to log in daily There .. is a link on your homepage to your calendar -! personal repetitions schedule, and a link just called "Repeat" - to a queue of words to repeat today.

The guarantee to remember a very high percentage of words (98%) makes it a perfect way to prepare for exams and certifications in English. I based it heavily on CET-4 and CET-6 (China College English Test), but the words .. are very suitable for other exams like IELTS and TOEFL If you want something specific, tell me and I will add it A word list for IELTS or TOEFL maybe Or -? you can add it yourself, because designations like CET or TOEFL are simply tags on English meanings in BuboFlash.eu and anyone can add them.

The learning Material

It is Free :-) You can do pretty much anything you want with it, like with Wikipedia Texts.

It is arranged for repetitions as flashcards Flashcards are question / answer pairs, for example the question is:., And the answer is "carpenter" "N (oun) carpentry, carpenter"..

I created already:

1. Bilingual (Chinese / English) flashcards, like the above carpentry, carpenter / carpenter. They are based on CET-4 and CET-6 word lists. An easy starting point, they are linked as "Regular flashcards" on your homepage.

. 2 Flashcards based on meaning in English, where a question has a definition in English: "a woodw  orker who makes or Repairs wooden Objects ", Often a hint in Chinese:" carpenter ", sometimes a Photograph Illustrating the concept; and as an answer:. a word or words (synonyms) - "carpenter" in this case Flashcards based on meanings are more detailed, and they group all synonyms (words that can be used interchangeably) together, for example: "the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit ", answer (any of these is correct)" exercise / exercising / physical exercise / physical exertion / workout ".

Many meanings have example phrases, like "the doctor recommended regular [exercise] / he did some [exercising] / the [physical exertion] required by his work kept him fit". When showing flashcard in question mode, the words in [brackets] are hidden.

A lot of words are recorded by native speakers.

Meanings are connected by relations between them, for example when looking at "tea" (tea), you can click on the meaning header and check meanings for all kind of teas (black tea, green tea, oolong), or for a "car "(car) you can navigate to automobile horn, automobile engine, airbag, ambulance, convertible, compact car etc. Words in definition are linked to their meanings as well, so you can easily check their definitions or Chinese translations.

I have about 120,000 meanings, which covers more or less the full contemporary English, so it is important that you can search them efficiently. Both meanings and bilingual flashcards can be tagged, with tags like "profession", "cet-4" or " cet-4-b "(for words starting with" b "). I entered full CET vocabulary list into bilingual flashcards, which was easy, because somebody else prepared the lists already, and I started manually tagging meanings for CET, which is not finished yet - I tagged only about 900 meanings - because for each word in CET list I had to pick specific popular meaning (and there are 14 meanings for the word "house" in the extreme end!) - to be contiuned as you progress through them :-). I also started adding tags for popular meanings in categories like bathroom, fruit, human-body, kitchen, profession etc.

So, if you want to start memorising, you can just search for specific tag and click "Memorise from search result". I linked popular searches on the website itself.

Everything is editable on BuboFlash.eu, so you can improve learning material yourself (I don't claim it, it remains free and open, see the licence). All edits are saved as different versions, nothing is lost, so you can easily pick and bookmark earlier version of the flashcard if you prefer it.

If you have any questions or suggestions, wishes, we can discuss it here so everybody can see it, or just mail me to piotr.wasik [at] gmail.com. There is a discussion group on the website itself if you prefer.

Enjoy and good luck :-)  
Piotr

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|华威学联论坛

GMT+1, 2024-3-29 12:50 , Processed in 0.032472 second(s), 14 queries .